Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Typing While Spinning...

... is impossible. That's why it's been 6 weeks since I've blogged! I've been spinning and knitting like crazy. My addiction to lace knitting is still going strong. A few weeks ago, I made this:
It's Evelyn Clark's "Shetland Triangle." That has to be the easiest lace pattern ever! I will definitely be making another in the future. I also made these socks, from 100 grams of random Koigu scraps. Koigu KPPPM is a work of art in and of itself, before it's knitted into anything, so none can go to waste! I love how they turned out.
I also spun 8 ounces of Black Diamond carbonized bamboo fiber and 4 ounces of silk, both of which had been in my stash forever. Like, since before my 5-year-old was born. I never felt capable of spinning those fibers until now, and I'm glad I finally felt like I could handle them, because I love the finished yarn. Here are the singles:
And here's the finished yarn:
It's my first 3-ply, and I'm so happy with how it turned out. The silk pops through so subtlely, and it's so soft! I knitted it into a lace shawl, but I can't show that until it reaches its recipient! Bwah-hah-hah! I just acquired more local alpaca to spin, and got started on that Saturday night (yes, that's what I do Saturday nights, stop laughing). It's glorious, and it was raised 5 minutes from my house. I met the animal that grew it! That's pretty special, I think, and at only $3 an ounce, that's way cheaper than most alpaca roving you'll find online.
Did you know that October 12th is "I Love Yarn Day?" I just found that out, and I'm delighted with it! Way less annoying than "Talk Like a Pirate Day," way less contrived than "Sweetest Day." I love yarn every day, but I'm glad it now has its own special day. I Love Yarn Day is having a photo context over on Facebook, and the prizes are pretty great. Now, off to select a photo to enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment