Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tour de Fleece Spinning!

I hadn't spun in a while, so when I heard about the Tour de Fleece, it gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get my wheel out. It's so embarrassing, I have spinning fiber that I bought 5 years ago and haven't touched. I have a goal for next year of spinning enough for a sweater, but I need to work through some of the stash that I have first. There are a couple very tempting fiber festivals coming up this fall, and I need to make some room!

During the Tour de Fleece, despite being sidelined by a back injury for about 2 weeks, I managed to spin 8 ounces of lovely, champagne-colored Suri alpaca roving. I don't remember where I got it, but it was loaded with VM (vegetable matter, for the uninitiated). I don't mind VM... I like being reminded that the fiber I'm spinning or knitting came from a real, living, breathing animal, but holy shit... every time I spun this stuff, I had to sweep the floor. More came out when I washed it and still more when I wound it into balls. The rest will come out when I knit it, wash it and wear it, so I'm not overly worried about it.

Here it is:


I love it. It's crazy-soft. It was almost weird to spin, it reminded me of extremely fine human hair. I liked it, but I prefer huacaya alpaca, and I think I'll stick with huacaya in the future. I hope to score some more of that, along with some wool, at the fall fiber festivals!

I spun it with Jaala Spiro's Bridge Over Troubled Water shawl in mind, and I think I have enough. If I don't, I have more handspun in a color that will coordinate well, so soon I'll cast on!

I think it'll be gorgeous in that natural champagne color, and I think the pattern will look great made from handspun. My handspun looks like handspun. It won't win any county fair prizes, but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment