Monday, July 16, 2012

Sheepual Healing

This last week sucked. A catastrophic, expensive, gross plumbing problem and an excruciatingly painful back injury ate all of last week for me. My back injury sidelined me from the Tour de Fleece and made dealing with the aforementioned plumbing problem, which was expensive enough that we had to wait till last Friday (payday) to fix it, that much more difficult.

So when I saw Jaala Spiro's beautiful Balm to the Soul shawlette in Knitcircus, I immediately bought it, because my soul really needed some balm. Using worsted weight yarn, it was the perfect stashbuster. I had a ball and a half of wonderful Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted sitting in my stash, waiting for something special, so I cast on with it. The project went quickly, and its soothing, simple stitch patterns occupied my mind.


I thought I had enough Lamb's Pride Worsted to finish, but I didn't. I finished the lace section and ran out. But no problem, I just dove into my stash and pulled out half a ball of Noro Kureyon in a pink/red/orange/purple colorway. I love it! I think it's even better with the extra pop of color from the Kureyon than it would have been if it were all one color.


This pattern is so easy and fun, and since the lace section is so simple and the project uses either worsted or DK weight yarn, it would be a perfect first lace project.

Now that my back is better thanks to nice Mr. Chiropractor, I am back to the Tour de Fleece, spinning some lovely champagne-colored Suri alpaca on my Ashford Joy. What do I plan to do with it? I had so much fun with Balm to the Soul, I am planning to use it for Jaala Spiro's Bridge Over Troubled Water shawl.

I can't stop with shawls, and I can't stop with lace. I have a problem! I'm casting on another lace shawl this week, the Winged Shawl by Sarah Fama, from Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2010. It's just the thing for a hank of Lanas Puras Melosa Laceweight that I've had in my stash for 5 years. It's been sitting that long because I wasn't ready for lace or laceweight yarn until just this year! Now I'm on a lace shawl knitting tear, with no signs of stopping anytime soon, especially since I took advantage of Knit Picks awesome clearance sale and got enough lovely laceweight yarn for two more shawls for $15. Whooo-hoooo!

Later this year, I want to take a little break from shawls (if I can get this lace shawl monkey off my back) and make a sweater for me, sweaters for my kids and a blanket for my bed. And holiday gifts. Oh God... holiday gifts. It's time to start planning those, isn't it? *shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment