Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The world's oldest UFO... completed!

Finally, the afghan squares that sat unjoined in my mom's closet for 36 years have become an afghan!



After taking my sweet time weaving in the ends, about 2 weeks ago, I crocheted the squares together and then made a simple single crochet edging. The joining method I chose was from Edie Eckman's fantastic Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs. It's a mix of single crochet and chain stitches and it's quick and very pretty!

I was going to keep this afghan (about big enough to be a baby blanket or a lap afghan) in the living room, but my 2-year-old decided it's hers. She named it "the beautiful blanket" and dragged it to her bed. Who can argue with that?

Completing this afghan put me in a granny square kind of mood and I decided to make a half-granny square shawl out of leftover Koigu KPPPM that I had from baby blankets, mittens and my recent Charlotte's Web shawl.

I've named it "Charlotte's Granny." Like Charlotte's Web, it has exceeded my expectations!



I started with the colorways I had the least of and worked to the ones I had the most of. Conveniently, this went pretty much from light to dark. It only took a week to make, and it was loads of fun! My 2-year-old has declared this also to be hers, and keeps it in her bed.

Hmmm... this is a disturbing trend. I didn't expect my kids to start commandeering my FO's quite yet! Since it's pretty sturdy, being just half a granny square, and superwash wool, I gave it to her. She grinned her little head off and threw it over her little shoulders just like she sees me do. Pretty awesome. :-)

Now her big sister, 4 and a half, wants one, too. Thankfully I still have more leftover Koigu AND other glorious handpainted sock yarn, so I'll be beginning another soon.

For now, I've got a sock and the 2nd Frida Kahlo-inspired pattern on the needles. After I finish a big load of work later this week, I am going yarn shopping, so there a lot more projects coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment