Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lace knitting builds character!

One of the reasons I never thought I'd knit lace when I started knitting 7 years ago is that I didn't think I had the patience. I also didn't think I had the attention span.


It turns out I do.

I don't think I would have before I had kids. They are only two and four, but they have built my character a LOT already. Two-year-olds in particular are character-building, hoooooweeee.

Lace knitting in and of itself is character-building. A couple times, I have screwed up and have had to tink back half a row, a row, or two rows and tinking back a row full of SK2P's is a bitch. The other day I saw that I had screwed up two rows back and had gotten half the row off by one stitch. Part of me wanted to say "F*** it," but the more mature part of me, the one that thankfully wins most of the time these days, prevailed and said, "This is Koigu. This is turning out so beautifully, and that mistake will be glaring and hideous and will torture you for all your days." So I sat for an hour and tinked back two rows. I didn't even have time to re-knit it that day, that was the real bitch. I had to leave that for the next day. Re-knitting those two rows and moving several rows past my screw-up, now looking beautiful, perfect and screw-up free, felt really good. Yarn Harlot mentioned this week how good that feels, and boy is she right.

I have about 36ish rows to go, and I am enjoying this project so much! I can't wait to wear it. I'm excited to block it and see the lace all opened up.

I highly recommend this shawl as a first "serious" lace project. It's my first "serious" lace, and I've found a couple things about this pattern that are really helping me get it right and enjoy every stitch:

1) The stockinette sections at the beginning and end of each row and on either side of the center "rib" are great checkpoints. There, I can say, "OK, I should have X number of stitches in this section." If that number is off, I know I effed up somewhere and need to tink back and figure it out.

2) There are lots of yo,k1,yo's. Make sure these are lining up and you pretty much know you're on track.

3) It's easy to fudge if you've found that you're missing a stitch or have an extra stitch and can't see the mistake or figure out where it happened. Do an SKP instead of an SK2P if you're missing a stitch or if you have the opposite problem, slip 2 and pass them both over. I know this might sound blasphemous to some people, but there really are no knitting police and if no one can see the mistake, it isn't there. Bwah-hah-hah!

The color in this pattern... oh, the color. It is such a fun way to play with color. One hank of any colorway of Koigu is a good time... 5 hanks is glorious. Watching the colors blend and mix and waiting to see what they'll do next is endlessly entertaining. I love color and really need lots of color right now, because it's spring in the Seattle area, and that means hardly any sunlight. I hate it every year, it drives me batshit every year, and color is what saves me every year. This section in particular is really making me happy:


Total clown barf, but I LOVE clown barf. (Google "clown barf yarn" if you don't know what I'm talking about, you'll be happy you did!) I gravitate towards clown barf. I love rainbows and pink and sparkles and glitter and Hello Kitty, and this colorway conjures up all those things for me. This colorway is wooly sunshine, and that is exactly what I need.

2 comments:

  1. That's the pretties clown barf I ever saw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, JelliDonut! I completely agree, it's just the happiest colorway!

    ReplyDelete