Monday, May 14, 2012

Handmade Mother's Day

For Mother's Day, I made something for my Mom from a book I recently reviewed, Seamless Crochet by Kristin Omdahl.

In that review, I mentioned that the Radiance Scarf would make an awesome Mother's Day gift, and from that point forward, I decided that that's what I would make this year.


I couldn't afford a ball of the Tilli Thomas Symphony Lace yarn that's called for in the pattern, which is a beaded yarn, so I used some glorious Misti Alpaca Lace that I had in my stash and beaded it myself!


I am SO happy with the result, and Mom absolutely loves it. She says it makes her feel like royalty. That was the idea, so mission accomplished!

I pre-strung 240 beads (one bead per flower petal of 40 flowers) before I started crocheting and added the beads willy-nilly, however and wherever I felt like it. Now that Mom's is done, I am making a second for myself! The pattern used less than half a ball of Misti Alpaca Lace. It was very easy and a lot of fun to make, so I'm excited to make another!

Before that, though, my kids and I need sun hats, so I'm hard at work on those. I had some nuclear-orange Tahki Cotton Classic in my stash that I got on clearance for $3.50 a hank about two years ago. It's been sitting there waiting for the right project, and while I was looking at it one day, I thought "Sun hats!" So I got on Ravelry, went to the pattern search and restricted the search to be only for patterns that use Tahki Cotton Classic and searched for the words "sun hat." My search produced exactly what I was looking for, Alla Koval's gorgeous, adorable Garden Party Crocheted Hat.

It's one of those impossible-to-put-down patterns. It's very easy, a lot of fun and very addictive! I've finished one, which is blocking, and have started another. Having two girls, ages two and four, I have to give them the exact same of everything to prevent fighting! Hat #2 looks like the sun that it will be keeping off of my kids' heads right now:


So pretty!

As for my Charlotte's Web, I have 8 rows to go! I absolutely love it and hope to finish it sometime this week, though these rows toward the end take about half an hour each to do, so I have to wait till the kids are asleep to work on it. I got them outside in the sun for a playdate today in hopes of tiring them out so I can work on it tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment