Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Beware, she's possessed to knit lace!

The needles and hooks have been a-flying! We had a mostly sunny, mostly dry week last week, and I got a lot of knitting and crocheting done while sitting on the deck, watching the kids play in the backyard. I knit a whole sweater and many socks that way last summer, and look forward to doing the same this summer.

Let's see, what have I been doing... Ah, yes, I finished my 4-year-old's new afghan, and she loves it. For some reason, she calls it her "blonde blankie." Not sure where the "blonde" comes in, but how adorable.


Before I cast on a sock for me in the yarn that I rescued from the Epic Fail Baby Surprise Jacket, I realized I had one sock nearly finished for my 4-year-old that just needed to have the toe grafted. I did that and cast on another, and finished it in about a day and a half.


The best thing about knitting socks for little kids is that they are crazy-fast projects because they're so tiny. I made these with what was left of a hank of Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Mediumweight after making a pair of socks for me. That's the gorgeous Watermelon Tourmaline colorway.

So now I have a pair of socks going for outdoor and in-front-of-the-TV knitting, but I also wanted a meatier project, a bit of a challenge, a bit of an indulgence. Something just for me. The knitting equivalent of a bubble bath.

Koigu, take me away!!!


Aaaahhhhh.

Those are the five colors I'm using for my Charlotte's Web shawl, from left to right. Yum, yummitty yum. I'm about 1/3 of the way done now and I LOVE the way it's turning out.


The lace pattern is a simple 4-row repeat. Rows 3 and 4 are actually exactly the same, making it even simpler. It's addictive, it's fun, it's engaging... I adore it. I foresee making this pattern over and over again. It's so simple, I can knock out 2 rows while catching a Mommy Break and watching Long Island Medium or one of my other favorite shows.

This is my most ambitious lace project yet. I bought Knits from a Painter's Palette over 5 years ago and fell in love with this shawl immediately, but was too intimidated to knit it. I had been knitting for 2 years at that point and thought I'd never knit lace. Then about 2 years ago I decided to give lace a try, and I made the Wavy Lace Capelet:


It's made in Blue Moon Fiber Arts Icelandic, a wonderful, squooshy, chunky yarn. Using such a chunky yarn was a great way to get used to lace. Then I read Donna Druchunas's fantastic, fascinating Arctic Lace, which really demystified lace for me. The book actually suggests to try lace first in a chunky yarn, then gradually step down to laceweight. It's full of tips and tricks that are very helpful for understanding lace. I don't know if I'd be knitting lace if I hadn't read that book!

Koigu KPPPM is a fingering weight yarn, so I am getting there! I'll be ready for lace weight yarn after I finish Charlotte's Web. I have been adding lace shawls to my Ravelry queue like a madwoman. I'm so excited that I can do it and I love shawls so much, I'm really looking forward to this new lace-capable chapter in my knitting life!

Also, Mother's Day is coming up. As usual, I don't have money, but I do have yarn. So Mom is going to get something made from these two things:


I had better get going on that, Mother's Day is less than a month away! Gaaahh!

No comments:

Post a Comment