Friday, March 9, 2012

Celebrating National Craft Month!

It's National Craft Month, my favorite month! I've been celebrating it by working away on my ripple afghan, crocheting fifteen minutes here, a half hour there, and as you can see, it's really growing.


I am so happy with the way it's turning out! I stuck with the colors the pattern called for except for one. I switched "Denim," a darker blue, out for "Sky," a lighter blue, and I'm so happy I did. I think the lighter blue makes it more cheerful and playful, and therefore more appropriate for a kid. As I've mentioned before, I really, really like this yarn. It is wonderfully squeezable, bouncy and soft.

In the knitting world, I shockingly have nothing on the needles right now. I am about to remedy that, though, and cast on some socks. Some of my favorite hand-knit socks are... *sniff*... wearing out, and I need some new ones. I could use something from my ample sock yarn stash, but instead I performed a long-overdue frogging of an epic fail of a Baby Surprise Jacket. I'd post a picture of this epic fail, but I thankfully did not ever take a picture of it. See, I was about 8 months pregnant when I knitted it, and this was a time when I still worked full-time AND we had just moved into our house. I already had a two-year-old, to boot. In all that chaos, I totally screwed up the pattern and it was unwearable. I kept thinking, "OK, trust the pattern, it will look right when it's all folded together," but, uh... it did not. Let's just say nowhere does the Baby Surprise Jacket pattern call for ruffles...


In frogging that disaster, I've rescued the beautiful Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Medium seen above. It's the Gertrude Skein colorway. It will look much better on my feet than in a heap of humiliation that no one will ever wear. Don't feel bad for the baby, she got a Big, Bad Baby Blanket made of Koigu. She's two now, but here she is all swaddled in her blankie when she was a newborn:


Speaking of blankies, I pieced the Trashed Onesie Quilt that I mentioned last post, and I've begun sewing the pieces together (after neatening them a bit). Here's how they are going to go together:


We're only nine days into National Craft Month, and I have a lot going on! I also just entered Interweave's "Pass on Your Passion" sweepstakes for National Craft Month. To enter, all you have to do is go to Knitting Daily's Facebook page, enter your e-mail address and optionally, say how you are passing on your passion for knitting during National Craft Month. The winner will win a Knitter’s Library of 20 DVDs, magazines and books. Whoa!! That could keep me busy for a while!

I pass on my passion year round by wearing my handknits proudly! I also give my 2-year-old and 4-year-old plastic crochet hooks and big plastic knitting needles to play with, so they can learn how much fun it is to be creative with needles, hooks and yarn! How do you pass on your passion? To get you off to a good start, here's Interweave's library of free beginner ebooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment