Monday, February 20, 2012

Knitting, Crochet and Sewing, Oh My!

Well, I've had a couple busy weeks of making stuff! It's been great. Let's see, where do I start...

Two new pairs of mittens for my kids, out of Knit Picks Chroma in the "U-Pick" colorway, a colorway that is unfortunately being discontinued!


I got all four mittens out of one ball of Chroma, with a tiny bit left over. I love them! They are so pretty, and really warm and soft.

One of my favorite things that I've made is my new handspun, hand-dyed, hand-crocheted cowl (as my husband said, "A full hand-job!" Gosh, what a lovely way to put it, husband...).


It's the first cowl I've ever made, and I must say, I love it! I spun and dyed the yarn months ago, and it's just been sitting there waiting to be made into this. Apparently I really like the combination of red and purple, which I didn't realize until I took the mittens and cowl out to the porch to photograph them. It's just double crochet, crocheting into the spaces between double crochet stitches, inspired by the Vintage Vertical Stripe afghan. I crocheted it in the round, and since the yarn is super bulky, it only took one day. I wore it the very next day and it was wonderfully warm!


I also got the Spring Ripple Baby Throw started, and I'm really enjoying it. The yarn, Lion Brand Superwash Merino, is WONDERFUL. It's so soft, and not at all splitty. Here's the first four rows. Soooo pretty.


It's the exact same stitch pattern as the Cottontail Dishtowels that I like to make. It's really easy to memorize, so it's great for crocheting in front of the TV. I got about 5 rows done in the car while my husband drove us to downtown Seattle and back the other day, a little over an hour round trip.

I also got to get my sewing machine out this weekend and turn this:


into these:


We rearranged the house this last week, taking what was the computer room and turning it into the girls' bedroom. We've had our younger daughter, now two, in our room since she was born. Her big sister, who's 4, had refused to sleep in her room for the last 6 months or so, and would bring her pillow and blanket into our room and sleep on the floor every night. We decided they were ready to share a room and we also figured (and hoped!) that they would stay in their room if they are together. Guess what? IT WORKED! For the last two nights, we have had our bedroom to ourselves! It's been a little weird, after 4 and a half years of having a kid or two in our room at night, but it's also been glorious.

I have no idea how I've made so much stuff in the last few weeks. It's all been a few minutes here, a few minutes there, while watching TV in the evening or scratching out a minute or two to knit or crochet during the day as a little sanity-break. Obviously, it adds up! The curtains were a several day process. I washed the fabric one day, ironed it the next, then Saturday I measured and cut it, and then I pressed, pinned and sewed them from 11:30 PM to 2:00 AM Saturday night. That's how a work-at-home mom of two gets time to make stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment