Sunday, February 26, 2012

Crochet, thrift store sweaters and trashed onesies recycled

The ripple afghan is coming along nicely. I've gotten another 6 rows done since taking the picture, and I love the way it's turning out. It's so pretty! The stitch pattern looks almost lacy in this DK weight yarn, Lion Brand LB Collection Superwash Merino. I LOVE this yarn. It's so soft and springy and just a delight to work with. I'll definitely use it in more projects after this.


I read about people recycling thrift store sweaters all the time, harvesting them for yarn or embellishing them with handmade elements, so I decided to check out the local Goodwill and try to score a couple rippable or embellishable sweaters.

Eh. I didn't find anything I'd want to rip. I did find four really great sweaters, though, and the whole mess cost me only $25. Pretty cool. One of the biggest scores was this:


It's a score because I have a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old. For that reason, I'm totally willing to wear this sweater and look like a giant ass. Their amusement is priceless!

While purging my dresser of clothes that I don't wear (to take to Goodwill!) so I can fit the clothes I actually DO wear in it, I found this lovely Express cabled merino/cashmere sweater that I have not worn in years, because it does not fit my post-childbearing boobs. Having two kids made them grow by a whole cup size, apparently permanently. So even though I didn't find any rippable sweaters at Goodwill, I ended up finding an excellent one in my own dresser! I have no idea what I'll make with it, but it is in my yarn stash now.




I haven't just been taking my own unused clothes to Goodwill, I also took a ton of my kids' outgrown clothes to Goodwill. The stuff that was too stained went to a special project that I've been planning for years: a trashed onesie quilt.

Whenever my daughters totally trashed a onesie, staining the front (or... heh... the back) beyond all repair, I cut off the section of fabric that wasn't stained to eventually make into what I'm calling a "trashed onesie quilt."

As I went through my kids' outgrown clothes, I found a lot more onesies, pajamas and T-shirts to add to the quilt.


Eeee! All those cute prints, on uber-soft cotton knit fabric. I also rescued some adorable appliques to add to the quilt:


I was sad to say goodbye to many of the clothes my kids have outgrown, but along with what I sent to Goodwill, I also sent a huge box to my sister-in-law for my niece and I saved a big bag of newborn stuff for my little sister, for when she has kids. It's great to know that all the clothes will be used again, and even the unwearable stuff is still being reused and recycled into what I hope will be an adorable quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment