Monday, January 30, 2012

A new year, a new blog post!

Wow! I can't believe I haven't knitblogged since before Halloween! Even though we didn't have anyone visit and we didn't go anywhere for the holidays, somehow the holidays were still crazy and ate all my free time. Would you believe I JUST finished knitting my holiday gifts? I still have to weave in the ends, then get them in the mail. People are more understanding about lateness when they're receiving handmade gifts, and when their maker has two small children and works part time.

I can show two of my three handknit (late) holiday gifts. The third I can't, because the recipient reads this blog!

Here, though, are mittens for my parents. The big ones are for my dad, knitted in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes and Noro Kureyon. The smaller ones are for my mom, and they are made from 80% merino 20% silk handspun.


Now I'm making mittens for both my girls, since they are about to outgrow the ones I made last year. Those I'm making in Knit Picks Chroma Worsted, in the U-Pick colorway. They'll be gorgeous! Chroma is so soft, too. I know both girls will love them.

Once those are done, I have big plans. I bought yarn to make this child's ripple afghan about three years ago, and it's been just sitting in my stash. My 2-year-old recently got a log cabin blanket from me for her birthday, so now her 4-year-old big sister needs a new blankie, too. This will be perfect and fun to make! I changed the colors up a bit, but I am using the yarn that the pattern calls for, LB Collection Superwash Merino.

Along with that, I am dying to make a Charlotte's Web shawl. I have wanted to make this for at least 5 years, and about 6 months ago, I bought 5 semi-coordinating colorways of Koigu KPPPM on sale 50% off (what a score!) specifically for this project. Now all of a sudden I'm just itching to get started on it. It's hard to have yarn this gorgeous lying around without knitting it!


When I bought that load of Koigu KPPPM, I also bought two colorways of Koigu KPM, also 50% off. I haven't been able to figure out what I'm going to do with them, but since I'm very much hooked on mittens and have long admired SpillyJane's designs, a pair of ROBOMITTS are definitely in order. What better pattern could there be for 1 hank of neon green Koigu KPM and 1 hank of red (if like me, you're Jewish, so Christmas designs are out)?


I've got a lot of good knitting and crocheting planned. That isn't even all of it, either, somewhere in there will be a cowl made from handspun and I also have the 2nd design in my Frida Kahlo-inspired series on the needles. Enough to keep me happy!

Now that the holidays are long overwith, expect regular posts here again! In fact, on Thursday something very special and very exciting will be happening here at Sara Likes to Make Stuff, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment