Sunday, October 2, 2011

All-consuming

I just realized how long it had been since I'd blogged. It might be a record for this blog! The reason that it's been a while is the fault of one man: Steig Larsson.

My Dad sent me The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, figuring I'd like it. Boy, was he right. I absolutely LOVED it and tore through it in just a few days, utterly unable to put it down. Dad kindly sent me the next two books in the trilogy, and I tore through the second and am now halfway through the third. These books are unbelievably good. I can't remember the last time I read something so totally engrossing and utterly impossible to put down. I really can't remember the last time any book cut into my precious knitting and crochet time.

I am both sad that I'll soon be done with the third book and happy about it. Sad because I am in love with the story and the characters, particularly the totally f$%king awesome Lisbeth Salander, but glad that I'll soon be able to go back to life as usual, life not completely obsessed with a trilogy of amazing books.

I think there will be some Lisbeth-inspired patterns in my designing future. It's just a grain of an idea, but it's there. It'll have to wait till I finish my Frida collection, though! One thing at a time.

Speaking of Frida, I an halfway done with the second design in my Frida Kahlo-inspired collection. The third and fourth patterns will be smaller accessories, then maybe after that I'll be ready to tackle something bigger again. Mostly I am hard at work crocheting a second Colorspike! scarf/wrap, this time in Knit Picks' wonderful CotLin yarn. It's soft and the colors are saturated and fantastic!

I am about 3/4 done with my first Ella headband, and it looks like I'll be able to get more than one of these out of one ball of thread. This is my first crochet thread project and my most complicated crochet project yet, and I am loving it. It is just the challenge I needed, and I'm happy that it's opened the door for me to the world of crochet thread. I am planning filet crochet curtains for the kitchen in crochet thread, as well as placemats and tablecloth edging. In a word, I am addicted. It's great, versatile stuff and cheap as hell, which for my current budget is really good!

To fuel the crochet bender that I'm currently on, I got Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today's Top Crocheters from the library, and WOW. I highly recommend checking it out. There is loads of inspiration in here, and in particular, I can't stop staring at the Overlay Mandala Pillow Cover by Melody MacDuffee. My crochet skills are not quite ready to tackle this yet, but it's something to aspire to. So gorgeous. Also, the pattern is made in embroidery floss, which is really inexpensive. All that beauty for not much money.

I've also been spinning. I have two bobbins full of this glorious 80% merino/20% silk blend, and I hope to ply it tonight while watching Ice Road Truckers. LOL.


I'll post some pics when it's plied. I still have 8 ounces of it left to spin. No idea what it'll be yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment