Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Whatever, Martha!

You might remember a couple posts back that I blogged about the... shall we say, TRYING time I had assembling the pattern pieces for the child's sun hat sewing pattern from the July issue of Martha Stewart Living.

Well, the fun was just beginning. Sunday, I sat down and actually tried to sew the fabric pieces that I'd cut out together and I discovered another problem. The side piece for the child's hat (the .pdf file for which prints out two identical copies of the pattern piece) is about 4 to 5 inches too long. Try to wrap the side piece around the crown piece and you'll see what I mean. I didn't realize this until I had already cut the fabric out and when I was pinning the pieces together to sew them, I had to hack 4 to 5 inches off of the side piece of each fabric.

The brim fit perfectly onto the cut-down side pieces, so the crown and brim are correct. It's only the side piece that's wrong... and you get two copies of it! Awesome!

While assembling and sewing this abominable pain in the ass of a pattern, I was reminded of the show starring Martha's daughter Alexis (who I find extremely likeable... I want to hang out with her!) from a few years ago called "Whatever, Martha!". I actually DVRed it when it was on. In it, Alexis Stewart and a friend named Jennifer showed old clips of Martha Stewart wearing questionable fashion choices and doing bizarre or regrettable craft projects. While the clips played, the two women made snarky comments and it was hysterical. I know Martha herself likely had absolutely nothing to do with this sewing pattern, but still, it was in her magazine, so WHATEVER, MARTHA! Please assemble a QA team to go over your magazine's sewing patterns in the future.

Anyway, the end result of all this confusion, swearing and general pain in my ass was worth it:


I made one for each kid and they turned out adorable. The inside fabric is pink. I haven't ironed the brims yet, so it looks a little floppy and boho at the moment.

Aside from sewing, I've been knitting on the black raglan sweater and dyeing fiber. Here's some merino roving I dyed yesterday morning. I didn't solar dye it, I dyed it on the stove. I just wanted to get a good pic of it in the sun.


I'll post a pic of it when it's dry. It's bright, cobalt blue, green, purple and vermillion. It's drying in the shower right now, looking like some kind of technicolor wool monster. I LOVE it and I think I'm going to turn it into a pair of socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment