Friday, June 10, 2011

Wacky week and Interweave Crochet Summer 2011!

What a crazy week this has been. I got slaughtered in a literary contest but then a few days later, I found out that one of my paintings made it into the juried show at the Maple Valley Arts Festival! The week very quickly turned from despair to elation.

The piece that made it into the juried show is one I've posted here before, which combines my admiration for Northwest Native art and my adoration for Edgar Allan Poe:


It's titled "Quoth the Raven." I'm so honored and excited to be part of the juried show. I can't wait to see how it does!

I've been crocheting this week, but not nearly as much as I've wanted to. I need to get cracking in order to finish a gift that needs to be done Sunday morning. Pics of that will be posted when it's done.

Speaking of crochet, though, the Summer 2011 issue of Interweave Crochet is awesome. I'm very interested in the history of needlework and needlework traditions in other cultures, so this is very much the issue for me. There's a fascinating article about a type of lace made in Clones, Ireland, an equally fascinating one about crocheted doilies past and present and my favorite article of all, one about a Ukrainian crochet designer named Antonina Kuznetsova and the amazing, beautiful designs she and other Ukrainian designers create based on Irish crochet. I love it when different cultures mix like that and create something awesome.

After that article there's a related one about a Ukrainian crochet magazine called "Duplet." I have got to get my hands on an issue or two of this. The magazine does not have a website, but you can find some issues on Etsy. It's just amazing what these Ukrainian designers are doing.

Along with really great articles, this issue has two designs that went into my Ravelry queue:

First is "Zipline," a pretty, versatile shell:


Second is the "Trillium Tunic:"


I don't know which I love more, the motif band at the bottom, or the pretty meshy stitch that makes up the body of the garment.

I've got much more blogging to do the next couple days. I've found a couple really cool new eMags to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment