Thursday, June 16, 2011

Breaking yarn

Sometimes, things just don't work out with a knitting project and you have to break up with it. Things started off so well with my Rose Lace Stole, but quickly we realized we just aren't right for each other.

Rose Lace Stole, it's not you, it's me. I started out with you on a circular needle, which was a terrible decision because you can fit on a straight needle and knitting you on a circular, well... it was just clumsy and time consuming. I spent more time shoving and cramming the stitches around the needle than I did knitting. And we can't have that.

I started out with the best of intentions, but along the way, I made some mistakes. Some glaring ones. As much as it rips my heart out to do this, I had to send you to the frog pond. My heart broke with every row ripped out.

I don't have commitment issues, really, but I realized about 30 rows in that I just did not want to knit 100 more rows alternating the same two rows. I need spice and spontaneity in my knitting, and that just sounded like a slow death.

I'm sorry, Rose Lace Stole. I had to replace you with a younger model. Or rather, an older one. I deleted you from my Ravelry queue and replaced you with Donna Druchunas' beautiful Arctic Diamonds Stole from Interweave Knits Winter 2006. Out of respect for what we had, I won't start knitting it until this weekend.

Aside from breaking up with works-in-progress, I'm still working on a crocheted scarf for my husband's birthday and a sock, both of which will hopefully be done soon so I can, once again, move on to something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment