Monday, May 2, 2011

Mother's Day

I usually make something for my mom for Mother's Day. No, not macaroni art or crayon drawings. I usually knit, crochet or paint something. This year crochet won, and using the wonderful, unique Noro Daria Multi that I've talked a lot about, I crocheted this cute coin purse for her.


I love the look of single crochet. Plain old single crochet. It is such a beautiful stitch, especially at a tight gauge like this. I knew this gorgeous yarn would really look amazing in single crochet, so I decided to use it to make this coin purse. Using a D-3 (3.25 mm) hook, considerably smaller than the recommended needle/hook size, I chained 16, then single crocheted until it was as big as I wanted. Then I decreased one stitch at the beginning and end of each row until the flap was the way I wanted it. It's pretty much the same shape as my Striped Kureyon E-Reader Cover. Here it is before I sewed the seams.


It took me about an hour and a half to make, that's the best part. You can't beat crochet for working things up quickly!

This tiny project provided a nice break from the Prism Pullover. I have all but one sleeve-half done, and I hope to complete that by mid-week. Maybe I'll even be able to wear it this weekend!

The June/July issue of Knitting Today! arrived on the weekend and wow... this issue is even better than the last one, which was a big improvement over the first few. This issue and the April/May issue are so much better and so totally different than the previous three issues, it makes me wonder what happened! What changed? Are the first few issues so horrible because they tried to rush the magazine out before it was ready, to make it out in time for the holidays or something? I think they should just burn all remaining copies of the first three issues and forget they ever happened. They should definitely keep going the way they are now, because now it's a good magazine! So good that one pattern from the June/July issue is going into my Ravelry queue!

The Plumage Shawl is so simple and so pretty and the perfect project for the whole bag of Knit Picks Merino Style that I bought for an aborted project about 6 years ago. It just happens to be in a purple colorway, too!

Next, though, is still the Rose Lace Stole that I am dying to start knitting. That and several more designs of my own.

Next post will be about the glorious thing that arrived in my mailbox today... the first issue of Koigu Magazine! It totally, totally exceeded my already lofty expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment