Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Koigu Magazine Spring 2011 review!

For years, Koigu KPPPM has been one of my favorite yarns and Maie Landra's book, Knits from a Painter's Palette has been a great source of inspiration for me. The colors and textures she creates in her designs are mind-blowing. They're nothing short of art, and wonderful art at that. To create totally unique garments, she uses innovative techniques such as mitered squares and joining seams with two needles and a crochet hook, one of my personal favorite techniques and one that I just used in a design of my own.

I have used Koigu KPPPM for baby blankets, using the famous Big, Bad Baby Blanket pattern from Stitch n' Bitch to make blankets for each of my daughters. They were each wrapped in Koigu moments after being born. I wouldn't trust just any yarn for my babies' first blanket. It has to be the best, the softest and the most beautiful, so it has to be Koigu. Here's my second daughter, wrapped in her Big, Bad Baby Blanket a few hours after being born:


Since I've drawn such inspiration from Knits from a Painter's Palette and I've held Koigu yarns in such high esteem for so long, I was ecstatic when I found out that they were coming out with a magazine! Koigu Magazine's Spring 2011 issue just arrived earlier this week, and I love it as much as I love Knits from a Painter's Palette. Like the book, the magazine is full of gorgeous designs in Maie Landra's typically ingenious style. The Allegra dress jumped out at me immediately as an absolute must-knit! Not only is it gorgeous, it looks like it would be absolute loads of fun to knit. The Tumble Leaves shawl is next on my list. A fairly simple lace pattern looks sumptuous in KPPPM!

The magazine contains patterns by other designers as well, and it contains CROCHET patterns, too! As someone who knits and crochets and loves both, this is awesome. There are a couple garments, some accessories and an adorable blanket in crochet named "Comfy Cozy." That name is definitely appropriate!

I wish I could include pictures in my post, but I can't find any of the patterns from Koigu Magazine on Ravelry yet, and I can't find any pictures in Google images that wouldn't require filching from someone else's blog. Once pictures start appearing in other places, I'll come back and add them to this post.

While I was typing this, my mom called, having just received the coin purse that I sent her for Mother's Day (see post below this one). She was delighted, totally loves it and wanted to know what stitch I used and how the heck I had time to do it. Gotta hand it to good old single crochet! It's easy, it's fast as hell and it looks really impressive when you use a beautiful yarn like the unfortunately discontinued Noro Daria Multi. Maybe next I'll make her something with Koigu!

No comments:

Post a Comment