Thursday, May 19, 2011

The agony of defeat

I was really optimistic about one of my designs making it into a magazine, because it was less than two weeks before the issue's release date, and I hadn't heard anything. The submission guidelines say to e-mail if you haven't heard anything within 2 weeks of the release date, so I did.

Unfortunately, what I found out is that my design didn't make it in. However, the editor was very kind and encouraging in her personal rejection letter. Much like the very encouraging rejection letter I got from the editor of a different magazine several months ago, she had some very nice things to say about the design, said she liked my style, and said she hopes I'll submit more designs in the future.

Gentle as it was, this rejection was quite a blow, as I'd stupidly gotten my hopes up because it was so close to the release date and I hadn't heard anything. I am usually pretty good about not getting my hopes up, but this time I allowed my hopes to get away from me a bit. I wanted to cry, but I just took the kind, encouraging words to heart, wrote a reply thanking her for the personal note and went and got myself a beer.

Maybe I'll cry later. Maybe I'll have another beer later. For now, here's a preview of the pattern, which I'll be releasing on Ravelry this weekend. The Banana Leaf Capelet, knitted in Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Mediumweight, in the Lemongrass colorway:


There it is on the knitwear model tree. I don't know what I'll do when we move someday. I'll have to bring that tree with me.


On my favorite bench...


On me!

And a detail view of the pretty, leaf-adorned ties:


Also this weekend, I'll be finishing and submitting a new pattern to this very same publication. Giving up just is not in me. I adore writing, knitting and painting. I live to do all three. I couldn't stop creating if I wanted to, and I'm determined to make one or all of them my career. So onward I go, with a few tears and a few beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment