Friday, April 8, 2011

Totally utilitarian eco-friendly dust mop cloth

I finished it Sunday and used it Monday and Tuesday. It worked spectacularly well. I have a wood floor in 2/3 of my house, so I use my dust mop vacuum daily, sometimes multiple times in one day. That's a lot of dust mop cloths, so I was happy that I finally got off my butt and made my own.


You would not believe the amount of crap this thing picked up in two days. It picked up an absolutely unbelievable amount of dust, as well as plenty mashed Cheerios and Goldfish. I love it.


It was very quick, being just a garter stitch rectangle, and I got a bonus in that I made a swatch to figure out how many stitches to cast on to make the right size rectangle. The swatch makes an incredible kitchen scrubbie! I have been scrubbing pots with it (the ones that come out of the dishwasher still dirty... ugh) and it works better than any sponge I've ever used. I am going to make a whole lot more of both. With as dirt cheap as kitchen cotton yarn is, why not?

Here's how to make your own Totally Utilitarian Eco-Friendly Dust Mop Cloth:

Materials: 1 ball Lion Brand Lion Cotton (or Lily Sugar n' Cream, or another kitchen cotton). 1 ball will yield several of them.

Needles: size 8 or size needed to obtain gauge

Gauge: 15 sts x 26 rows = 4 inches before washing. I found that it shrinks lengthwise about 25%, but almost not at all widthwise.

Pattern:

cast on 40 sts, knit in garter stitch for 65 rows. Bind off. Throw it in the washer, then in the dryer, and voila, it shrinks down to about the same size as a dust mop cloth.

I'm all about the towels lately. Hand towels and now dish rags and dust mop cloths. Is everything that you make yourself better than what you can buy in a store? It's certainly looking that way. I wish someone had told me a long time ago how amazingly well a garter stitch square of kitchen cotton would clean a pot!

In other knitting, I am about halfway done with my striped Noro Kindle cover, and I love it. I hope to finish it this weekend, and then I'll post it here.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I will definitely make some of these when we move! You are so right about how well they clean dishes too. When my sister first started knitting she made 4 dishcloths for me with the Peaches-n-Cream cotton and they work so well, I got rid of all my sponges. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is probably the Cadillac of kitchen cotton. I love it! Have you read the Mason Dixon Knitting books? They are what introduced me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot.... thanks for your information... very much useful for me.... keep on posting...




    Dust Mops

    ReplyDelete