Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My open letter to prevent the closing of the Edgar Allan Poe museum in Baltimore

The Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum in Baltimore is slated to be closed at the end of this year due to budget cuts. I love to write almost as much as I love to breathe, and Edgar Allan Poe is a big reason for this. Therefore, I want to do whatever I can to prevent this museum from being closed. So after reading this, I e-mailed the Mayor of Baltimore.

"Dear Mayor Rawlings-Blake,

It has come to my attention that the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum is likely to be closed at the end of this year due to budget cuts. I am writing to ask you to please reconsider this, to please prevent this from occurring. This would be a horrible loss both for the city of Baltimore as well as for Poe's legacy and the world of literature in general.

Poe is so quintessentially Baltimore. He left an indelible mark on Baltimore and is often the first thing people think of when they think of Baltimore. How can a city who named its NFL team the Ravens after his most famous poem close the Poe museum? It just doesn't make sense.

I read that the Poe museum has a budget of about $85,000. That is such a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things, especially when you consider the amount of tourists who come to Baltimore just to go to the Poe museum and grave. My father is from Baltimore and so were his parents and two more generations of ancestors. I grew up hearing about the Poe house and grave, and as a lifelong Poe fan, I plan to visit Baltimore someday solely to visit it. If this museum goes away, so does the only reason that I have to visit Baltimore. There are dedicated Poe fans all over the world, so I know I am not alone in this... the Poe museum is many people's only reason to visit Baltimore, and it is a big dream of mine to visit it.

I ask you to please prevent this tragedy from occurring. Please preserve the cultural and literary history of Baltimore and please preserve a tourist attraction that will draw many people to Baltimore, including myself and my family. I look forward to one day visiting Baltimore, visiting the Poe museum, and exploring and discovering all the great things that Baltimore has to offer.

Sincerely,
Sara Wilburn"


If you, like me, love Edgar Allan Poe's work and want the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum in Baltimore to remain open, please send the mayor of Baltimore a respectful letter or e-mail making this request. Details on how to do so can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment