Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cath(ART)ic

Nothing feels better than releasing a negative emotion through art. Nothing.

I'm sick of having credit card debt and hope to make it go away later this year. A lofty goal, considering how much there is, but hey, it could happen. It has been following me for a decade, much of it acquired when I was 20-something and stupid. It's time to shed that weight and be free.

Discover Card pissed me off recently and I turned my anger into a painting, using their stupid card.

It's called "Debt to Income Ratio."


I used a ton of interference paint, which unfortunately doesn't photograph well. The sky is done in an acid rain of interference green and red. The teeth are painted in interference copper. Where did I get them? Why, those are my impressions, leftover from getting teeth whitening trays made. The dentist gave them to me with the teeth whitening trays, once they were ready and I thought, "Why are you giving me these? What the hell am I supposed to do with them?" I set them aside, figuring I'd find a use.

The "VOICE" inside the mouth is comprised of letters from a cut-up Discover Card. The figure falling into the tornado/whirlpool/abyss is Botticelli's Venus with the head of "Blind Justice" from Metallica's "And Justice For All," one of my all-time favorite albums. I printed each image out, cut out what I wanted, taped them together, photocopied it and made an acrylic transfer.

It just sort of happened. It felt good to do and I had a lot of fun making it. I turned my Discover Card-induced frown upside down and made it into art.

Medium: acrylic paint, modeling paste (for the whirlpool), acrylic photocopy transfer, gel medium (to make the black at the bottom raised and extra-menacing) and dental impressions (some kind of plaster?) on Ampersand Gessobord

No comments:

Post a Comment