Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cotton

I did something that I never thought I'd do years ago, something that I questioned the point of. I crocheted a towel!



The pattern calls it a dish towel, but I think it's too pretty for that. It's a hand towel in my bathroom, and I love it. It's so pretty, and it functions beautifully as a hand towel.

Until I read Mason-Dixon Knitting a couple years ago, I thought knitting and crocheting dish towels was for people who had too much time on their hands. "Why go to all that effort for a towel, never mind one that's designed for a gross job?" Mason-Dixon Knitting extols the virtues of knitting and using things for your home to make your home that much more homey and that much more your own. As I read, I realized they're right.

I bought the yarn for these towels over two years ago when I'd just learned how to crochet, but all I knew how to make were granny squares. I didn't know how to crochet in rows. I had no idea where to even put my hook, it was a mess. So I got frustrated and put it aside.

While stash diving a month ago, I found the Lion Brand Recycled Cotton that I'd bought for this pattern in my stash and since my crochet skills had improved and grown by leaps and bounds in the last two years, I decided to give it another try. This time it went a whole lot better, and I liked the first towel so much, I immediately started on another in the pink colorway, Rose Coral.

This second one is also for my bathroom, but I have plans to make a whole bunch in the yellow colorway, Sunshine, when we remodel our kitchen.

This is the reason I love knitting and crochet so much. You can make anything you want, exactly the way you want it. You aren't dependent on the right fabric existing, you make the fabric, stitch by stitch, and you have total control over everything, right down to the last stitch. You don't have to hunt for just the right thing to match your new kitchen, you can just make it.

As the weather gets warmer, I have plans for a whole lot of home decor items. Filet crocheted curtains for my kitchen (which will match now and post-remodel!). A crocheted tablecloth. Knitted lace linen towels for the bathroom. All fun, all exactly the way I want it!

Speaking of warmer weather, the Spring/Summer 2011 issue of Vogue Knitting landed in my mailbox yesterday. Usually, I don't find anything I want to make in the spring/summer issues of the magazines. I don't know why. Maybe it's the lack of wool, maybe it's the fact that so many of the short-sleeved, lacy tops wouldn't work on a busty girl like me. This issue, however, contains quite a few things that I'd like to make, such as the cover sweater by Rebecca Taylor:



I could see wearing that most of the year. The only thing is, the smaller size (the one I'd make) of the pattern calls for 22 balls of Rowan All-Seasons Cotton. At $8.95 a ball, unless you catch one hell of a sale, that's
$196.90. That's one expensive cotton hoodie. The larger size calls for 28 balls! Crazy!

This pattern isn't even on Ravelry yet. I bet most people looked at the amount of yarn called for and said, "Hell no." I like the pattern enough that I am thinking of sometime later this year making a ghetto version with Lily Sugar n' Cream. That might sound like blasphemy, to substitute Sugar n' Cream for Rowan, but who cares? I think it would be a great substitute for this particular pattern. I regularly see Sugar n' Cream on sale for 4 balls for $5, which would take this from being a $200 pattern to a $25 pattern. And I could make dish towels with any leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to comment on this post for a couple weeks but keep getting distracted by little people. CUTE sweater - and isn't it ridiculous how much it costs to knit sweaters?!?! I made Christmas sweaters for the boys in 2009 and literally spent about $120 on yarn. And then about 120 hours knitting. (Or so it seemed.) I now completely understand why those homemade sweaters in children's boutiques cost $100. And I have not made another sweater since. :-/

    ReplyDelete