Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Socks!

Wow, I haven't blogged in a while! I've been writing like crazy, and will be for the next two weeks, on a non-blog project that shall remain nameless for now. I've been painting, too (one of these day I'll blog about that, really!) I've also been working on the shawl that I've designed (another secret-for-now project) and my socks for January, the plain stockinette Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock socks in "Black Purl."

These are my first socks knit in Shepherd Sock, and I have to say I love the colorway, but the base yarn, not so much. I'm sure they'll feel good on my feet, but all those plies... I find it a bit splitty, not twisted tightly enough for my likings. I compare all sock yarn to Socks That Rock, though, which I consider the Cadillac of sock yarn.

There are other sock yarns that I love nearly as much, like Knit Picks Imagination. THAT is a yummy sock yarn. It's so warm and soft, and the socks only continue to soften over time. These socks really, really last, too. The alpaca in the yarn felts a little with wear, which helps them last, as the stitches lock together a bit. I love it, and I love the colorways! I have made one pair of socks in that yarn that has lasted for over 3 years and I have two or three more colorways of it ready to be knitted up. It is taking such restraint not to buy more right now. I keep telling myself that at the end of the year, I can go sock yarn CRAZY, and let me tell you, I will. If I even make it to the end of the year without losing it and buying more sock yarn, that is.

If I keep making 12 pairs per year, that's a lot of sock yarn that I can buy. Socks are so great to knit. Fun, relaxing, extremely portable and one of the most inexpensive items you can knit!

I also recently decided to revisit a project that pissed me off to no end two years ago, when I had just learned to crochet and had mastered the granny square and nothing else. I had not yet learned to crochet back and forth in rows yet... I didn't know where to put my hook after I'd crocheted the first row. I also didn't understand the dc3tog stitch and just couldn't figure it out. I saw the yarn sitting in my stash recently, and decided to pick it up for those evenings where I don't feel like working on my sock-of-the-month in front of the TV. What is this project that drove me so absolutely nuts that I bailed on it?

A dishtowel.

A #$%^ing dishtowel.

I've got it about half completed this time, now that my crochet skills have considerably improved, and I'm having a LOT of fun with it. I really love the stitch pattern.

It's actually going to be for my bathroom, rather than my kitchen. I have plans for many lovely towels for my bathroom this year. Socks for me, pretty towels for my super-girly powder room. I work hard as a mom and as a homemaker and as so many other things, and these little things are a little way that I take care of myself.

Oh, and my self-imposed sock-of-the-month club (a la Yarn Harlot)? I'm not as good as she is with keeping up with it. Already, the first socks of the year are late. It's the 2nd of February, and I'm still working on the foot of the second sock for January's pair. Sigh. Ah, well. February's socks are going to be slipper socks, knitted in worsted-weight yarn, so they'll fly. Yes, I know, the purpose of this was to burn through my stash of sock yarn so I can buy more, and what do I do? I knit a pair of socks in non-sock yarn. But hey, mama needs a new pair of slipper socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment