Friday, February 11, 2011

At long last

My 84-cent sock yarn's seemingly endless journey is over! The mail was uncharacteristically late today... it came at about 3:30. That's because I was waiting for something, naturally.

I've been stalking that damn mailbox all day. Only another knitter would understand this. It's only a single, solitary ball of sock yarn, but it was personal. I had waited so long, I wanted to see this yarn as badly as if it were a good friend back from a really long trip.

Here it is, photographed in front of an art print as surreal as this yarn's journey:



It's sitting next to me as I type this. It's really lovely, very soft. It will be hard to move it to the back of the line, as I knit about 7 or 8 other pairs of socks before it, but that's only fair. I've got sock yarn in my stash from lines that Knit Picks doesn't even produce anymore. I've got two balls of Dancing, two balls of Simple Stripes. I've had them for at least 5 years, and I bought them on clearance then. If I don't knit them now, they'll languish there forever.

Speaking of socks, one slipper sock is done and I've cast on for the second. Being worsted weight, they are super-fast. As soon as they're done, I'll cast on one of the aforementioned Knit Picks sock yarns and get a jump on the third pair of socks for the year.

It's been a good week for knitting stuff in my mailbox. I ordered one ball of Knit Picks' Chroma worsted to finish a project and omigod... it is yummy. Like Noro Kureyon, only soft. I am envisioning entire sweaters made of this... cables would look gorgeous. The project I'm using it for is actually Fair Isle, it's going to be the contrast color.

I also got the winter issue of Vogue Knitting after recently resubscribing. It's a GREAT issue. There are 3 or 4 sweaters that I want to make, plus this cool i-cord necklace by Nicky Epstein. I think I finally know what I'm going to do with some of my Noro Daria Multi. Bwah-hah-hah!

Also in the mail today was a very nice, very gentle rejection letter from a magazine to which I'd recently submitted a design. On it was a hand-written note from the editor, a knitting celebrity/goddess who I really admire. She wrote that it was a "very cool design and story but didn't quite fit this issue," and to "please keep submitting." I nearly had a heart attack! To have that kind of encouragement come from someone as brilliant and accomplished as her was almost, almost, aaallllmost as good as getting my design in the magazine.

This gives me the encouragement I need to keep going, keep designing, keep submitting. I'm working on one design now, starting and hopefully finishing a small one next week, and after that, I'll start another fairly big one. I'm so happy right now. Who knew that a rejection letter could lift someone's spirits so?

No comments:

Post a Comment