Friday, December 17, 2010

You just have to want it that badly

If someone wants to do something badly enough, they'll find the time, even if they have to get really creative to make the time to do it.

My 1-year-old hates her crib. She will not sleep there. The second we put her in it, she cries. She is a "high need" baby... the kind that needs to be held all the time and flips out if mommy leaves the room. The "cry it out" method, which we personally can't stand to do, does not work on her (we tried twice out of desperation) because she does not give up. So she sleeps and naps in our bed.

This royally cuts down on my free time, as you can imagine, since I have to stay on the bed with her while she sleeps. Thankfully most of the things I want to do and love to do can be done quietly, on the bed (hey now, not that!). Blogging, reading, writing, knitting, crocheting, drawing, designing... I do them all next to her while she sleeps.

This can get kind of complicated, particularly for knitting and crochet, because it's dark at night and about half of her naptime. But where there's a will, there's a way.

One night I really wanted to knit, and no one was going to stop me. I thought maybe I'll sit close to a night light... nope, not bright enough. Maybe I could knit by the light of my laptop. Eh, cumbersome and also not quite bright enough. The book light! Close but no cigar, it doesn't really work except for reading.

Then I remembered that we have a few of these bad boys:



It's PERFECT. I plop it in the center of my chest, recline on some pillows and knit or crochet away. Baby's happy and safe, mommy's happy and sane. Everybody wins!

One night, my husband walked into the bedroom and saw me doing this. As proof that he's the best husband ever, he laughed and said, "Cute." That's right, he found it "cute" and not "batshit crazy" that his wife had rigged up a way to knit in the dark. He's the best. Even if he calls all of my knitting shows "The Delicious Dish" after the Saturday Night Live sketch that spoofs NPR. He's sort of right, they do all kind of resemble that sketch, what with the awkward knitting humor, tiny budget and minimal set.

And with that, here's my favorite episode of "The Delicious Dish," "Schweddy Balls."

No comments:

Post a Comment