Sunday, December 26, 2010

Old friends

Well, by some sort of postal miracle, my Dad's hat and sister's mittens were delivered to them yesterday... on Christmas day! The lady at the post office told me they'd arrive Monday and I was happy enough with that. But lo and behold, they arrived yesterday. They were received as well as a knitter could hope for... Dad loves his hat and my sister loves her mittens. Hooray!

One of my New Year's resolutions (yes, the list continues to grow) is to clean up our third bedroom, which is currently the computer room, and make it look like a room where people live. We bought this house about 15 months ago, and that third bedroom is the final frontier. It's where the last boxes are to be unpacked, it's a hodgepodge of furniture that didn't really fit anywhere else when we moved in, that chaotic time when I was 7 months pregnant with my second child and still worked full-time. In cleaning it out, I unpacked a box that I thought contained my first two hand-knit sweaters, but they weren't there! A bug thoroughly up my butt to find them, I went out to the garage and went spelunking in a box labeled "master bedroom closet." About halfway down, there they were! Behold, my first hand-knit sweater, about my 4th or 5th finished object ever, made about 6 years ago:



Jeebus. I'd ask, "What the hell was I thinking?" but I know what I was thinking. I was a brand new knitter who didn't know any better. I didn't know that a shell knitted out of THREE STRANDS of worsted weight mercerized cotton held together in three bright shades of pink would look horrifying when actually worn by anyone, particularly someone as busty as me.

It fits, but it's never been worn for obvious reasons. I tried it on today and had a good laugh. I have been looking for this thing, because I have about 3/4 of a ball of each color left and I wanted to find and frog this monstrosity so I could put the yarn to a much better use: a crocheted tablecloth. This yarn, the timeless Tahki Cotton Classic, will make a very pretty tablecloth, and surely I'll blog about it when I get around to it. It would probably make a nice sweater, too, if not held triple-stranded and if not in three such loud colors all together at once.

Along with it was another sweater I'd been looking for, the second sweater I ever made, knitted about 6 years ago as well. This one was more successful, and given that I'd only been knitting for about 5 months when I made it, I'm rather impressed with myself.



I wore it for a while today, and it was like being reunited with an old friend. It's knit in Brown Sheep Company Lamb's Pride Worsted one of my hands-down all-time favorite yarns. It's so warm and cozy, and I love the color, Kiwi.

This sweater taught me many things as well: that I adore Lamb's Pride Worsted, that I hate drop-shoulders and they are NOT flattering on a broad-shouldered, busty woman such as myself, and that I hate seaming. Nonetheless, this sweater is among my favorites and I'm so happy to be reunited with it, especially in December, with several months of cold weather ahead.

Both patterns are from Hip To Knit, a book full of good patterns for someone who has just learned to knit. It was my first pattern book after Stitch n' Bitch, the book that taught me how to knit.

Finding these sweaters has been a really nice trip down memory lane. It's nice to have liberated them after they spent over a year in a box in the garage to find good uses: one as a cuddly, warm, much-loved sweater and one as a second incarnation as a tablecloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment