Friday, December 17, 2010

Knitting giveth and knitting taketh away

Yesterday afternoon during my children's nap I was happily knitting away on the cuff of the second mitten that I'm making for my sister. I was flying, making so much progress! So much that I thought I'd be able to give her mittens to her before she left. I cast on, started the k2p2 ribbing, and I was in the zone. I was so relaxed, so happy. The yarn was just flying off the needles and it looked great. I felt like I was on top of the world.

And then I thought, "Hmmm. This ribbing looks a little different than the first mitten. I don't recall starting any of the DPNs with purls. I have the right number of stitches, 40, just like the first mitten. They're cast on evenly, 10 on each needle, just like the first mitten. What the hell is different?"

"Oh, f***."

The pattern calls for k1p1 ribbing, NOT k2p2. All my progress was lost. I had to rip it out and totally start over.

Knitting took the progress away, but there was one thing that it could not take away: the sheer bliss, the total relaxation, the absolute, calm happiness I felt while knitting totally the wrong kind of ribbing.

So I ripped, I cast on anew, and I started the mitten over. Knitting really is a metaphor for living, a microcosm of life in general. If I can be this calm, have this good of a sense of humor in all areas of my life and apply this same perseverance in all areas of my life, I'm set!

No comments:

Post a Comment