Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday knitting done and blocking!

And it's only the 22nd. Dad's hat and sister's mittens are soaking in the sink, to be blocked and dried tonight and shipped out tomorrow. They'll arrive a day or two after Xmas, but who cares?! That's close enough for me. It's such a relief to have them done. I have been knitting like a madwoman (even more than usual) to make it happen.

Now back to my regularly scheduled knitting, crocheting and designing. I'm working on the crocheted shawl and tomorrow, once my two gorgeous hanks of Socks That Rock Mediumweight in Lemongrass arrive, I'll begin my knit shawl design. Ahhh, I can't wait to dive in!

Aside from my own designs, there's more knitting planned. My parents sent me some money for the holidays, and I ordered two hanks of Blue Moon Fiber Arts Icelandic in the stunning, breathtaking colorway "Quinault Canopy." Quinault as in Washington. A gorgeous colorway, and it has a Washington tie... gotta love that! It's to make this unbelievably gorgeous Wavy Lace Capelet from Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2010. I think Quinault Canopy is subtle enough to work with this chunky lace pattern. I can't wait to knit it and most of all wear it!

I'm a huge fan of Blue Moon Fiber Arts and have done the Rockin' Sock Club before. I did it in 2009, but couldn't justify the cost this year and I knew I'd never be able to keep up with it with a newborn and a toddler. I might join in next year, now that I have a tad more time, I'm not sure yet.

Aside from being a source of gorgeous, brilliantly-dyed, top-quality yarn, I also love that Blue Moon Fiber Arts is semi-local, being based near Portland. I hope to one day attend a Sock Summit or one of the other retreats Tina Newton and Stephanie Pearl-McPhee host when my kids are a little bit older. I want to meet Tina Newton and thank her for enriching my life with her amazing dyeing skills. Seriously.

She and Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (who I am also dying to meet someday) are two of the women in the knitting world that I look up to the most. They are like the knitting world's Oprah and Gail. I hope to one day have a friend like they are to each other. Reading their Twitter posts back and forth to each other is hilarious, it's like they're sisters!

Now, back to my crocheted shawl. Creativity at a somewhat more sane pace... this will be relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment