Friday, November 5, 2010

Stranded!

Why did it take me so long to try stranded colorwork? I might be a little crazy, too, to make my first stranded project one of my own design, but so far it's working, thanks to the obscene amount of reading that I did on the topic before beginning.

I found this article on knitty immensely helpful and most helpful of all was this booklet, Stranded Color Knitting by Nanette Blanchard. She tells you everything you need to know there. Reading these two things gave me the knowledge and confidence I needed to take the design that was in my head and make it reality. The swatch that I intend to submit with my submission package for publication is on the needles right now and going really well!

I'm now so fascinated and obsessed with Fair Isle and other stranded colorwork, I'm reading all I can and going through my stash to look for more yarn to make Fair Isle projects with. I've got a couple possibilities in there! My favorite book so far on Fair Isle is Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting. It's comprehensive and AWESOME. I just added Selbuvotter to my queue at the library, and I imagine after that I'll devour some books on Latvian mittens. Once I get on a tangent, I stay on it until it has been completely, exhaustively explored!

Also on the needles is my second swatch for the TKGA Master Knitter program. The first is garter stitch, the second is Stockinette. I never thought I'd put such care into a simple swatch! It's actually fun. I definitely did the right thing by reading most of the "On Your Way to the Masters" articles that are available to TKGA members. I learned so much that I absolutely need to know to successfully complete this program. There is a wealth of information there to the point that the Master Knitter program feels like an open book test. Everything I need to know is all right there!

I want full mastery of my craft, so I have all the possible options for creativity that I can. Learning stranded colorwork opens up whole new worlds! After this obsession, maybe I'll give lace a real, official try. I bought yarn to make this scarf years ago, and there it's been sitting for years. Good thing I downloaded the pattern then, because it looks like it's no longer available.

And with that, I'm going to bed, but maybe a few more pages of that Alice Starmore book first...

No comments:

Post a Comment