Saturday, November 6, 2010

Meditative Needlework

Well, OK, this post is about crochet, but "Meditative Needlework" sounded better than "Meditative Hooking."

I am having so much fun with the Vintage Vertical Stripe Blanket! It's so easy to pick up and put down and totally mindless. Just double crochet after double crochet forever and ever, picking random colors of Mission Falls 1824 Wool and Lion Brand Vanna's Choice leftovers. I am loving the way it's turning out.



That's 9 rows so far. I have a looooong way to go and will need more yarn to finish it, and I am determined to keep it a leftovers-only stashbuster blanket. Good thing I have another blanket in Vanna's Choice planned for someone who shall not be named because she may read this blog. Tee hee. She needs a handmade blanket. I hope to have it done by the holidays, but we'll see how fast my hook can fly.

While hooking away on this blanket, I was thinking of something Julia Cameron said in her wonderful book, The Artist's Way, which I'm currently reading (and totally loving, and which I highly recommend). On page 22, she says "Needlework, by definition regular and repetitive, both soothes and stimulates the artist within." I can attest to both. I found it indispensably soothing when I was still working full time after having my first daughter and really needed some serious soothing. While knitting or crocheting, all stress and anxiety just melted away, as the repetitive actions of my hands quieted by very busy mind. I also come up with some of my best ideas while knitting or crocheting. Ms. Cameron is absolutely right!

With that, it's back to work on my stranded project, which is the first of many! I came up with three more Fair Isle ideas just this afternoon, after a couple hours of leisurely crocheting and watching Spongebob with my kids and husband (and what better way is there to spend a Saturday?).

No comments:

Post a Comment