Monday, October 11, 2010

Taylor Creek Quilt Studio!

Until Saturday, I thought there weren't any fabric stores anywhere near Maple Valley, nevermind right in Maple Valley, mere minutes from my house. I thought the closest fabric store was Joann's in Kent, and to find specialty, unique and designer fabrics, I'd have to go all the way to Bellevue or Puyallup.

Turns out there is an AMAZING fabric store right in Maple Valley, which is Taylor Creek Quilt Studio! I've been driving by it for years and thought it was just a place to buy finished quilts. It never crossed my mind that they'd sell fabric, thread, patterns, trims, stabilizers, you name it. Then Saturday I met the owner, Joanne Lee, at the Covington Quilter's Guild farmer's market stall and I took one of the flyers for the store. I was so excited to see what they sold there! Sunday I got my husband to watch the kids for an hour so I could go over and take a look, and what a revelation. Gorgeous, inspiring fabrics, nothing ordinary, boring or run-of-the-mill. It's the total opposite of a chain fabric store, which I've learned are good for basics but not much else. This place is just wonderful. Aside from all the quilting and sewing-related stuff, they also sell some really cool locally-made, Northwest Native-inspired jewelry and art cards. This is definitely a LOCAL shop... aside from the Northwest Native stuff, they have many Asian-themed or influenced fabrics. There is a wide array of classes offered, too. It's just wondrous, and it's in my backyard.

I'm definitely going to join the Covington Quilter's Guild. You get a 10% discount at Taylor Creek Quilt Studio if you're a member, and it will be great to meet some like-minded fellow crafters!

No comments:

Post a Comment