Saturday, October 9, 2010

Connecting the Dots

As Steve Jobs so brilliantly puts it in his Stanford Commencement speech that I linked to in a previous post, you can't connect the dots looking forward, only looking backward. This means that although something makes no sense at the time or that you learn but think you'll never use in the future can end up proving incredibly useful or even critical later on.

I always wondered why I toiled so many years doing tech support (I shudder even thinking about it). I wondered why the hell I was a software tester for so many years after that. As a creative, free-spirited person who hates being told what to do, what was I doing there, in such rigid, left-brained positions? Then it hit me today. To start my own business and make it successful, I would need to know how to provide excellent customer service. I would need to have anal-retentive attention to detail and an understanding of what quality truly is, and how unbelievably important quality is. I had to work in tech support and software quality assurance to learn these things. Now that I have finally, after a year away from the corporate world and from those jobs, figured out what I want to do, I can apply everything I learned during all those years in which I thought my job was pointless.

It was the opposite of pointless, it was critical. It served its purpose and taught me what I needed to know.

With that, I give you another pattern, written, proofread over and over, and extensively tested. I combined a couple of my passions in this pattern, namely babies (particularly mine) and knitting. It's written for one of my favorite yarns on earth, a glorious, uber-soft, wonderful, highest quality yarn that I am nothing short of addicted to, Blue Sky Alpacas Worsted Cotton. It's as soft as a cotton ball, is grown organically, and holds up brilliantly wash after wash, so it is the perfect yarn for baby stuff. Expect many more patterns written in this yarn, because I can't get enough of it.

Here is a pattern for a baby hat and mittens set, knit in Blue Sky Alpacas Worsted Cotton, with instructions for both a boy's and a girl's hat and mittens, complete with detailed, photo-illustrated instructions for making the "lazy daisy" embroidery on the girl's hat and mittens. The pattern contains instructions for four different sizes: newborn, 3-6 months, 6-9 months and 12 months.





Cost: Only $6

No comments:

Post a Comment