Sunday, October 31, 2010

Book Problem

Do you, like me, have a book problem? A bad book monkey on your back? A book jones?

Since I've become a stay-at-home mom, I had to give up my old way of getting books that I want, which was to thoughtlessly load up my cart on Amazon.com and order whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, sight unseen. I got some great stuff, I got some "meh" stuff. I have some books that I got years ago and have yet to read... shameful, and my new year's resolution (well, one of them) for 2011 is to read them all during 2011.

My new, el-cheapo book acquisition system is great. I get books I'm interested in from the library (the wonderful, incredible, massive King County Library, which I adore) and read them, then if I love them, if I have to have them in my library or if they require more than one read, I go on eBay, Amazon, or my new favorite, Thriftbooks.com and buy them used, often for a few dollars, or even less than a dollar. As I mentioned, I recently scored Maggie Righetti's glorious Sweater Design in Plain English for 99 CENTS on eBay. It is such a wonderful book, I had irrational pangs of guilt while reading it for acquiring it so cheaply.

The best part about my new fave, Thriftbooks, is that all shipping is free AND they are based in the Seattle area, so shipping is hella fast and I am supporting a local business. They have no idea who I am and are not paying me to say this, I'm just a fan. I love to share wonderful local businesses, which you'll notice I do quite a bit on my other blog, Culinary Hijinks, where it's apparent that I am a full-on Full Circle Farm fangirl. It took me a long time to love the Seattle area after moving here 7 years ago, but now I totally love it here, despite the atrocious weather. I don't know if we'll always live here, but as long as we do, I plan to enjoy the hell out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment